New Zealand was the setting for the Lord of the Rings film trilogy and the magical world beyond the wardrobe in the Chronicles of Narnia. If there were Oscars for picturesque locations New Zealand’s sideboard would be groaning with them.
North Island New Zealand starts at Cape Reinga in the very far north to Wellington at its tip and includes the vast Lake Taupo, the stunning Coromandel Peninsula, hidden white beaches in The Bay of Islands, steaming thermal pools and exploding geysers of Rotorua, the wine region of Hawkes Bay and the modern and chilled city of Auckland.
South Island is best known for its stunning scenery, majestic snow capped mountains and spectacular glaciers. Queenstown is the place for thrilling adventure and activities.
The breathtaking fiords of Milford and Marlborough Sounds are beautiful. All the fiords contain two layers that do not mix, with the top few meters of fresh water, fed by runoff from the surrounding mountains.
The wonderfully-named Doubtful Sound is the deepest and second longest of the South Island’s fiords. Doubtful Sound is known for its splendid waterfalls, the Browne Falls and Helena Falls at Deep Cove. Wildlife is another reason to visit this fiord.
For a combination of independent travel and organised tours through magical scenery in one compact area there’s nowhere like New Zealand.
Tell us what you’d like to do and we’ll arrange it for you
Top Tips for a memorable New Zealand holiday
- Combine an independent bespoke itinerary with one of the fantastic coach tours to get the most out of your Kiwi visit.
- Visit the stunning Bay of Islands with its fascinating Maori history and friendly dolphins.
- The Tranz Alpine & Tranz coastal trains are two of the most scenic train journeys in the world that can’t be missed!
- Franz Josef and Fox glaciers – hike them or fly to the top by helicopter.
- Doubtful Sound is the hidden gem that will take your breath away!
See a sample itinerary in New Zealand